latest version of vi messes up bash for me

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Tue Jun 10 20:58:00 GMT 2003

Stephen Biggs wrote:
> On 9 Jun 2003 at 21:16, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>

>>On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:57:32AM +0200, Stephen Biggs wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>

>>>Maybe it is relevant to say that I am invoking cygwin by the shortcut of:
>>>C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /c C:\cygwin\bin\login steve
>>>with the /etc/passwd file entries:
>>>user::400:401:user:/home/user:/bin/bash
>>>steve::502:100:steve:/home/steve:/bin/bash
>>>sshd::545:545:sshd::/bin/false
>>>
>>>and /etc/group:
>>>all::544:
>>>users::100:
>>>user::401:
>>>
>>>... instead of the normal batch file since this is the only way I could
>>>think of to log myself on as another user into Cygwin on Windows 98.
>>>
>>>Perhaps this is what is messing me up, but can anybody tell me a better
>>>way to
>>>do it?  I need the user steve so I can use ssh to a different machine.
>>
>>Your passwd file is screwed up. Didn't cygwin generate one for you?
>>
>>If you login into Windows, use the Users control panel, create a user
>>Steve. Log into Windows. Start Cygwin. Cygwin will use the entry for Steve.
>>
>>If you don't log into Windows, Cygwin looks for uid 500. So just put
>>Steve:*:500:544:steve:/home/steve:/bin/bash
>

> It didn't work with the '*', so I took it out...
>

>>Don't use uid 400, gid 401, they are reserved for non-existent entries.
>

> Got it...
>

>>>Again,
>>>this all worked before I updated my VI package.
>>
>>That's another story. No idea. Use emacs? :)
>

> Heh...
>
> Still no change with the blind terminal after VI.

It really would be helpful to see the output of cygcheck -r -s -v
(_attached_).  Can't you just start the bash prompt from cygwin.bat
at least to get this information?  Also, it would be useful to know
if vim works for you if you login to Windows and use cygwin.bat
instead.

--
Holliston, MA 01746