libltdl + dlopen/LoadLibrary [Was: Re: gcc 3.3.1-3, loading .la files from gcj-compiled apps]

Sun Nov 2 20:16:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 12:20:47PM -0700, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>
>>Would it be possible to add a -D_WIN32 to the libjava/libltdl Makefile
>>for Cygwin?  Then the LoadLibrary support will get compiled-in, and
>>dynamic libraries can be loaded into GCJ apps.
>

> No.  If there is dynamic linking to be done it should work through
> dlopen and pals.  Defining _WIN32 is not the way to accomplish this.

Hmmm...  I've been having problems compiling cvs-m4 which HEAVILY uses
the libltdl library-loading functionality.  I wonder if it could be
related to this:

 From ltdl.c:
#if __CYGWIN__
   {
     char wpath[MAX_PATH];
     cygwin_conv_to_full_win32_path(searchname, wpath);
     module = LoadLibrary(wpath);
   }
#else
   module = LoadLibrary (searchname);
#endif
   LT_DLFREE (searchname);

It appears that current libtool does in fact use LoadLibrary and not
dlopen.  This worked fine in the past (perhaps pre-1.5.0?) but appears
to not work as well anymore.

Should the module-loading functionality in libtoool for cygwin be
reworked to use dlopen instead?

--
Chuck