compiling flpsed under Cygwin

Stephen P. Harris Stephen_P_Harris@hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 07:24:00 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Hall" <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com>
To: "Ken Dibble" <kdibble@alltel.net>; "cygwin" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: compiling flpsed under Cygwin

> At 10:27 PM 7/19/2005, you wrote:
>

>>Stephen P. Harris wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I am looking for an alternative to Adobe Writer Pro
>>>and Adobe Acrobat Reader for annotating pdf or
>>>ps files. I tried to compile flpsed and it failed maybe
>>>due to the fltk dependency being unsatisfied with X11.
>>>I am currently using xfree86 for the X server for the
>>>Windows cygwin LyX version.
>>>Has anyone made progress with compiling flpsed?
>>>http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/ flpsed
>>>see the annotation at bottom of the page on tiger.ps
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Stephen
>>
>>I don't know exactly what you are saying and I can only guess since there
>>is no cygcheck output attached
>>as per the reporting guidelines.
>>My WAG is that you either don't have fltk installed (flpsed claims to
>>require > 1.1
>>and the cygwin version is 1.1.4) or that your makefile isn't pointing to
>>it by its' correct name
>>and path.
>
> And if Stephen is truly running xfree86 on Cygwin, he's several years
> out of date...

Well I installed LyX 1.3.1 before the current port to native Windows,
LyX 1.3.6. So I used the recommendation found at the porter's website.

http://wwwserv1.rz.fh-hannover.de/mbau/tim/hentschel/lyx/#Prerequisites
X-Server
"Because LyX is a program designed to run on Unix it's GUI
(graphical user interface) is based on an X11 environment.
Therefore you need an X-Server on your system. There are many
commercial versions available for Win32 like Hummingbird's
Exceed or Starnet's XWin32.
A free X-server is available for CygWin, too. The project's
name is XFree86. LyX runs fine with that X-Server and it is
now easy to install if you follow the installation instructions
as well as reading the FAQ carefully."

SH: Claus also includes a startxwin.bat; so maybe I could
change it easily or maybe not, it it ain't broke don't fix it.
I like the white xterm box to do searches (which I think are
faster than Window's Search) because I can cut and paste.
I also use Cygwin Xemacs 21.4.17 and the Xemacs beta
produced by Fabrice Popineau which is native for Windows.
I never have a problem with the X server. If I want Linux
capability I can (dual) boot to FCC4 which works. So the
choice of X server is not at all critical. Once in awhile I
find an especially good utility like flpsed which I would like
to see work in the Windows (Cygwin) environement too.

I think fltk compiles and installs ok. The ./configure for
flpsed fails after finding fltk-config at the next two lines:

Checking for open in -lX11 ... no
Error LixXll.so not found [doesn't come with Cygwin]

I read the config.log and there are other reported problems.
But reading the archives suggests that cygwin-xfree is the
better mailing list for this problem, so I will move to there.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
Stephen