How to login to another Unix workstation or Cygwin PC

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 8 17:56:00 GMT 2006

Cary Jamison wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Steve Boyd wrote:
>>> I'm a Cygwin newbie; spent the last 15 years in the tender clutches
>>> of hp-ux. Currently making the jump to Cygwin.  I'm looking for a
>>> place to start when it comes to using things I was familiar with on
>>> hp-ux; rlogin, remsh, ftp, etc.  Can anybody give me some general
>>> background on these subjects in Cygwin?
>>
>> I'm not aware of an "remsh" for Cygwin (and neither is
>> http://cygwin.com/packages/), but the same says that "rsh" (which you
>> still shouldn't use if you can avoid it) lives in the 'inetutils'
>> package. Oddly enough, that seems to also be the package where the
>> vanilla 'ftp' lives.
>
> remsh on hp-ux == rsh on other unixes, so your advice still holds.
> hp-ux has a different rsh (restricted shell), so they named the remote shell
> remsh.

Ok, I kind-of thought that was the case. At any rate, it is still
insecure, and ssh is recommended.

(Dave, my sig rotator must like you today ;-).)

--
Matthew
HIPPOS wallow slightly in the MUDDY RIVER
 > WALLOW IN MUDDY RIVER
You join HIPPOS.