How do I kill a grandchild process from shell program?

Jim Seymour nntp.ff@thentao.com
Tue Oct 24 22:24:00 GMT 2006

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> 'kill -SIGHUP <process>'?

Thanks.  Unfortunately, the problem I had was really about how to find
the pid from within a shell program.  In the end, a combination of ps,
grep, tr, and cut seemed to do the trick.

> Or if the child is a bash script, you might be able to re-write it to
> trap a signal (e.g. SIGUSR1) that instructs the child to kill /its/
> child (the assumption being that the child knows its own child's
> PID).

This is not a bad idea.  I may explore this in a future rev...

--
Jim Seymour