A FAQ regarding defrag and permissions of nonadmin files?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Apr 9 04:48:00 GMT 2008

Gmane User wrote:
> Arg.  Andrew.  My thread TITTTL'd!  :(
Again, I don't subscribe to the "talk list".
> I thought this was cygwin related because all the affected files are
> mostly involved with my use of Cygwin.  And normal Windows users
> don't  go about finangling file permissions in the manner that unix
> users do.  Hence (I thought) they won't often encounter similar issues
> with defrag related to permissions.  However, no one else has chimed
> in  about similar problems, so perhaps the problem goes beyond cygwin
> and unix file permissions on a Windows box.
That last statement should tell ya something. Like perhaps most people
don't go dillying with their permissions....
> Just as a wrap-up, however, can a few people please say whether they
> actually set their nonadmin files to go-rwx, and are actually able to
> defrag their whole disk without stubborn user files?
OK, I've never bothered to do go-rwx on any files. I use the regular,
comes with Windows, defrag tool. Works fine - never complains. There's a
data point for you.
> I don't even know whether I'm an exception in this practice of setting
> file permissions, aside from the defrag problem.
Actually you do know - the fact that nobody's chiming in should be a
clear clue that nobody else is having this problem.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?