gvim crashes immediately

Sat Jun 27 00:30:00 GMT 2009

Yanroy wrote:
> Hi all... the subject line pretty much says it all.  I've installed Cygwin
> and Cygwin/X.  The X server appears to work correctly.  XTerm runs fine.
> All the command-line apps work great.  When I launch gvim, it spins for a
> moment and then crashes with an access violation.  Nothing is written to the
> console.  I've tried reinstalling vim and gvim.  I've tried text-mode mount
> points and bin-mode mount points.  I've tried running it with -V and there
> is nothing of note in the output... it just loads a bunch of files.  It
> fails right after it doesn't find FindHelp.bmp (I believe it is normal for
> it not to find these bitmaps, based on googling).  Running it through strace
> was similarly unilluminating.  I'm hoping someone has seen this issue before
> and can point me in the right direction.
>
> My system is Windows Server 2k8 32 bit.  My user is an administrator.  I'm
> running in a qemu-kvm virtual machine on top of a Fedora 10 linux host.  I
> don't think that matters though, since one of the nice features of the
> hardware virtualization is the guest doesn't know it's not running on real
> hardware.  It's got 2.5gb of RAM, 4 processors...  I don't know what other
> details might be useful to the community in helping me to resolve this, so
> don't hesitate to ask me for more info.  Thank you very much for any help
> you can provide.

I wouldn't discount VM issues.  They have been reported on this list before,
though not for qemu-kvm.  But I don't recall which one or the specific
issue. You can search the email archives if you're curious.

I'd recommend the problem reporting guidelines found here:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

It may come down to just plain old debugging to find the issue.  I
certainly have run gvim with no problem on Cygwin 1.5 and 1.7 (I'm
using the latter now.)  So I can pretty confidently say it's not a
systemic problem with gvim.

--
Holliston, MA 01746