Cygwin 1.7.7: intermittent Perl "unable to remap *.dll" error with Windows 7/2008R2

Manfred Brabec manfred@brabec.at
Fri Dec 17 00:25:00 GMT 2010

Hello Corinna,
Cygwin is really great, but has huge stability problems running on top
of Windows 7 or Windows 2008R2 (both 64Bit).

When running Perl scipts, they intermittent stop with fatal error
"unable to remap" any dll. When you try to run the perl script several
times, then it will work again for one or if you are lucky for many times.

Unsuccessful workarounds so far:

1. ash -> rebaseall: does not solve the problem.

2. I thouht that maybe Windows ASLR is the cause of the problem and thus
tried to disable it by setting the key
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\MoveImages" but still get that error.

3. I have tried to install cygwin from scatch and load only the required
modules being able to execute the perl script (e.g. Text::CSV_XS,
Net::Appliance::Session, Log::Log4perl, etc.), but also no luck.

I am sure that I am not the only one who has that problem - found a lot
of other users problem descriptions looking very similar to what I have
seen.

As the main purpose of Cygwin is running a Linux like environment on
Windows systems, a fix should be release a.s.a.p.

Please can you give me a feedback or perhaps hint on how I can get a
stable environment!?!?!?

Thanks
Manfred