Delay during invocation of any CYGWIN command [SOLVED]

G. Ken Holman gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Thu Apr 14 03:42:00 GMT 2011

At 2011-04-09 18:02 -0400, I wrote:
>I'm now running XP under VirtualBox and I'm pretty sure when I first
>moved over I was running CYGWIN commands without delays.  But I
>don't always use CYGWIN, so I can't say for sure.
>
>But I am sure I'm now getting a 5-second delay when invoking any
>CYGWIN command.  Once the command executes, I get a 10-second window
>of no delays when invoking any CYGWIN command.  After the 10 seconds
>expires, the next CYGWIN command I try to execute delays for 5
>seconds before it executes.
>
>Program execution is always correct, the only problem is invocation.

I moved my CYGWIN installation, which was in a subdirectory on a
virtually-mapped drive pointing to a BSD subdirectory, to the logical
C: drive on VirtualBox and the invocation delay disappeared.

Note there were never any delays invoking DOS applications from the
virtually-mapped drive, only invoking CYGWIN applications.  And there
are no delays running the CYGWIN applications or DOS applications on
files on the virtually-mapped drive.  The problem was only with
invocation and only with CYGWIN.

Smooth operations have returned.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/z/