cp fails, probably due to Solaris CIFS network share (file replaced while being copied msg)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b@dd-b.net
Mon Dec 5 17:54:00 GMT 2011

I've read the thread on "skipping file `...', as it was replaced while
being copied".  I'm getting that exact same message.  I initially saw it
using the "install" program, but quickly determined that "cp" also
produced it.

David Dyer-Bennet@ddb3 /cygdrive/p/work/ltbw
$ cp ltbackup foobar
cp: skipping file `ltbackup', as it was replaced while being copied

The "P" drive is a network share from OpenSolaris.  Mount says:

$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
M: on /cygdrive/m type cifs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
P: on /cygdrive/p type cifs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
S: on /cygdrive/s type cifs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

I tried mounting it with ihash.  I'm not sure I did it right; ihash
didn't appear in the mount options list.  Didn't help, but may not have
been a valid test.

Since I don't have much of any local disk on this system, this has
suddenly rendered Cygwin nearly useless, and I've got a lot of scripts
using Cygwin.

Cygcheck output attached as per reporting guidelines.

I've been running the Solaris fileserver since 2006, and haven't
upgraded the software there in the last year or two; I'm sure this was a
Cygwin change that broke my setup.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info