Can RPM packages be installed into Cygwin?

De-Jian Zhao dejian.zhao@gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:12:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-4-8 14:47, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 4/8/2012 5:10 AM, De-Jian Zhao wrote:
>> On 2012-4-7 16:12, marco atzeri wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Marco. I was not trying to run a native linux apps, and instead
>> tried to rebuild the app from source. The BLAST software provides the
>> Build.sh and Check.sh scripts under the dirctory of
>> ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-src.tar\ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-src\c++\compilers\cygwin\.
>> So I think it is possible to run the software under cygwin. However, the
>> compilation stopped at "checking for python", even if python was
>> installed. That's to say, I installed the latest python and the
>> compilation could find it, but the compilation tried to search for
>> python2.3 and 2.4 further, and stopped when searching for 2.4.
>>
>> What I am concern is that whether the i686.rpm indicates it is prepared
>> for cygwin. As you know, when you run "uname -smo" , you can get
>> something like this "CYGWIN_NT-5.1 i686 Cygwin". I think the package
>> ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-3.i686.rpm is for Cygwin. Is that right? Has anyone
>> ever succeeded in installing a RPM package into cygwin using "rpm -i
>> *rpm"?
>>
>> Regards
>> Dejian
>

> i686.rpm is not the source package, is the binary for linux on 686
> processor.
> On cygwin we do not use rpm for building packages so the source rpm
> file will unlikely work.
>
> The source for all platforms is
>
> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/executables/blast+/LATEST/ncbi-blast-2.2.26+-src.tar.gz
>

> Regards
> Marco

Thank you, Marco. I tried that version. Unfortunately, the compilation
always stopped at "checking python" even after python was installed. It
seems to me that it is a tough work to rebuild a software from the
source code under Cygwin. The dependency is hard to satisfy.

I am curious about the utility rpm under Cygwin environment. When
running the setup.exe, I noticed that there is a rpm packge. (Search for
"rpm" at the stage of "Select Packages" when running setup.exe, you can
find the package under "Utils Default".) Then what is it for?

Regards,
Dejian