postgres initdb: error while loading shared libraries: ?

Wed Jan 9 07:43:00 GMT 2013

On 08/01/2013 9:20 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:44:10 -0800, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>> The error message is:
>>> $ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
>>> /usr/sbin/initdb.exe: error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot
>>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> Any ideas? I can't reproduce it on my own machine. Running cygcheck on
>> /usr/sbin/initdb give very normal-looking results, and BLODA checks are
>> coming up empty. Is there something obviously wrong in my instructions?
>> Or should I have them send their cygcheck output and let folks on the
>> list try to diagnose the problem?
> cygcheck output would be helpful, as always, but my wild guess is that
> they have the wrong, or more than one, libpq installed.  If
> I'm right, reinstalling libpq5 should fix this.
!

I just checked the cygcheck output again and found this:
> cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygldap-2-3-0.dll

Not sure how I missed seeing that before...

cygcheck on my machine says the .dll belongs to
libopenldap2_3_0-2.3.43-3; acursory check of setup.ini didn't turn up an
obvious dependency listing. Is there a chance the dependency didn't get
pulled in automatically like it should have?

Meanwhile, I'll tell my students to install libopenldap and see if that
helps...

Thanks,
Ryan