Cygwin/X: KDE Desktop

Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten@gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:28:10 GMT 2020

Hi,

I tried a few different Desktop Environments for comparison. At least
GNOME-Openbox, KDE-Openbox, Plasma, and MATE give me a black screen and no
taskbar/menu, pop-up menu with right-click on background, etc., but I can
start applications on them if I open a Cygwin prompt through the 'Cygwin64
Terminal' icon by doing (for example) "export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; xterm".

However, the LXDE and Openbox desktops do give me the familiar things (like
a start-menu, right-click on desktop pop-up menu).

I have no idea where to even begin with troubleshooting the issue (of
getting KDE or GNOME working). Could it be as simple as some packages that
have not been installed ? I installed these desktops by selecting the
packages listed on the Cygwin/X website during the overall Cygwin
installation (setup-x86_64.exe).

Any and all help is appreciated.

- Maarten