no regular expressions in less

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:21:09 GMT 2021

On 21.07.2021 19:43, Basin Ilya via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi list.
> I've just noticed that regexp search works identically to exact match search in less and it prints this:
>
>      $ /usr/bin/less --version
>      less 581.2 (no regular expressions)
>      Copyright (C) 1984-2021  Mark Nudelman
>
>      less comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>      For information about the terms of redistribution,
>      see the file named README in the less distribution.
>      Home page: https://greenwoodsoftware.com/less
>
> How to solve this?

Hi Basin,

it seems missing for the 32bit version,
on 64bit it is present.

$ less --version
less 581.2 (PCRE2 regular expressions)
Copyright (C) 1984-2021  Mark Nudelman

But for both the library is present

$ cygcheck -cd |grep "pcre.*devel"
libpcre-devel                           8.45-1
libpcre2-devel                          10.37-1

let me investigate why the 32bit has such issue.

Regards
Marco