sqlite3 outdate

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Fri Oct 13 04:18:22 GMT 2023

On 2023-10-12 18:41, xvac wrote:
> Oct 13, 2023, 08:39 by xvac:
>> I find sqlite3 and postgresql packages in cygwin is outdate, anyone can up it to latest?

I would say postgresql is only lagging a few months because the maintainer is
busy with many other packages:

	https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/postgresql-src.html

>> also, many new CLI tools should add to cygwin official repo e.g., `bun` :
>> https://github.com/oven-sh/bun
With ~1.9k open issues, 155 pending PRs, and ~100 releases in 2 years, wait for
it to stablize before looking at it.

Problem is most packages are not written to really be portable, including
ability to be cross-compiled, and languages especially are often written as
Ph.D. projects, or academic projects to provide a subject for papers and a book
by (a) professor(s), and abandoned once the developers get jobs or move away
from the originating institution.

> zig lang

Needs LLVM 17

> nim lang

"Cygwin and similar POSIX runtime environments are not supported."

> rust lang

"Cygwin and similar POSIX runtime environments are not supported."

Needs LLVM 17

> also should add to cygwin official repo.

Feel free to port them, but if they don't use autotools or cmake, libtool, and
pkgconfig, expect a lot of work to get them running in the Cygwin environment.

See the reference to the person trying to port Rust needing to get LLVM 17 ported.

--

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry